Thursday, April 11, 2013

What's Normal Anyhow?


With Hubby deployed for over half the year last year, I definitely lived with heightened stress and very little rest, but we maintained a pretty good normal schedule since we weren't traveling and we all thrived on the routine.  Daddy returns and you can just throw normal out the window.  

Don't misunderstand, we are OH.SO.GLAD that Daddy is home.  It's just a readjustment of expectations.  When they are away, it's somewhat easier to make a schedule: You can plan dinner for a regular time and you're not waiting to see if his should go on a plate or straight into the tupperware.  You know that when you get invited to something, you just call a sitter and you're good to go.  You aren't upset if he doesn't take out the trash, you just do it because it's gotta happen. You enforce stricter rules about chores and bedtimes cause there's just one Mama who can only spread so thin.  Everyday is Groundhog Day for him, so there are fewer moving parts in your world.  It's the blessing amidst the struggle of deployment.

When that plane lands and their boots hit the states again, new "normal" begins.  Except life in the military is never very normal.  Life and schedules are daily fluctuating.  Desk jobs, flight schedules and TDYs are weekly fluctuating.  Exercises, inspections, etc.  Stress levels ebb and flow like the tides.  Military life consistent?  Um, consistently changing.

For this reason, I am thankful for reminders that I am the daughter of the Almighty God.  Who IS consistent.  Some of the best moments of the hard days during deployment were when I'd turn up the iTunes, hit repeat and let God remind me who He is.  Meredith Andrews song, "Not For a Moment," was a favorite because the chorus echoed the truth:
"You are constant...you are only good...you are sovereign...not for a moment will you forsake me."
I needed to sing that truth back to God, to refill my spirit so I could muster the energy for another day.

With Daddy home to help, a hubby to love on and spend time with, my wash-the-dishes-turn-up-iTunes-praise-God moments haven't been consistent.  Life just isn't...but I need to praise still.  As I ride this insane roller coaster called the Air Force next to my love, life lacks normalcy, but boy is it thrilling! Praise God for that! And praise Him for being sovereign and consistent, our constant, in a life that is anything but.

1 comment:

  1. Funny that you posted this day one of Jonathan leaving for Africa until the end of the month. It's good reminder of the more "regimented" schedule that will need to ensue to maintain sanity. This will be the first time Jonathan is leaving since we have had both kids. Both deployments before I was by myself and I learned to be more independent, only had to take care of myself, and could eat whenever and whatever I wanted - :)but I always remembered that when he got back it was a tough transition to being the submissive helper that we are to be to our husband. Not that I didn't want to do that, it was just that you get into another routine. But if this is what God ask of me to be married to Him then I wouldn't have it any other way. Always good to know that you're not the only one dealing with the same situation

    ReplyDelete