Our word for week 5: RAIN.
Our crazy adventure for the week was the grocery trip on Monday morning. After dropping Daddy at work, we ran to the grocery store for waffles and wine a few necessities. I KNEW that at this particular store, you could only pay with cash or a local bank card, but I forgot. So, with a cart overflowing, I could not pay. Oh.my. God blessed me that day with a sweet cashier whose English was limited, but her kindness was not. She put my cold stuff in a freezer near by and told me to run to the bank, she'd suspend my transaction. (Ok, the language barrier was such that she did not actually communicate all that verbally, but...) She told me there was a bank just a block down the street, however, if you have read any of my earlier posts, you will recall that everything here takes for.ev.er. I still don't have a pass to get onto the compound of many nations where the hubs works and where our local bank is, so I do not have a local bank card. SO...we ran to the car, drove like maniacs to the only ATM that I know of in Brussels that takes my American bank card, got Euros and went back. Such ridiculousness. I was so frazzled that we went home and crashed. Then I requested the Hubs take us to IKEA for dinner that night cause I was done for the day.
Despite the initial craziness of Monday morning, we had a lazy week indoors because it rained all week long.
The kids created new games with cards...
...and on Thursday, I decided, rain or no rain, we were going to the farmer's market. (With cash in hand!) We needed to see our chicken man and get some fresh produce. Plus, there's an AH-mazing baker at the market if you go early enough, so the kids had hot, fresh croissants for breakfast.
One of the best pieces of advice I received about our move here was to buy good rain jackets. (Thanks, Rebecca!) We will be getting our money's worth out of them, for sure.
The week also included an indoor playdate with friends, picking paint for the house and meeting more of our (sort of) landlords who fixed our elevator...but that's another post in itself.

Just catching up on reading your blog!! I'm glad the raincoats are working out for you. Sounds like you are settled in and taking advantage of the Belgian adventures.
ReplyDelete