Yes, I am still playing catch-up...MAY! May 2015 was a month filled with lots of friends. We wrapped up school and testing, then loaded the van to go see friends! We had two sets of friends who were missionaries in Europe, but preparing to move back to the states, so we wanted to see them before they left.
Our first stop on the journey was the Black Forest of Germany, to see our dear friend's the Mcs. They are missionaries with Wycliffe Bible Translators who served for many years as teachers at Black Forest Academy in Kandern, Germany. They welcomed us into their home, fed us lots of yummy food, and we enjoyed time with them, seeing where the Lord had been using them.
After our goodbyes in Germany, we headed south towards Italy. On the border of Switzerland, we saw a field of cut-your-own flowers. I'd heard about roadside stands like them, so we had to pick some tulips. There's a stand with a cash box and pairs of scissors, so on your honor, you cut your own stems, pay, and off you go. Loose scissors on the side of a road in the US?! No way! These are the little gems of Europe that I love!
From there we headed south across the Alps. I dare say, it was the most memorable drive we've had...
The drive was gorgeous. Make no mistakes about that. The Hubs was dead set on making a slight deviation to really make the most of the scenery, though. He kept saying, "It will only add an hour to the drive. It'll be so worth it!" The drive from Kandern to Lavagna was supposed to only be 6 hours. Adding a detour through Interlaken would make it 7 hours. "We can have an amazing picnic in the alps," he said.
Ok...we're not staying overnight because it's so insanely experience. Let's do it. Off we go...we're enjoying the lovely scenery and I start to see signs, in German which I can't read well, but give me a clue...
"Honey, did you verify that the pass is open?"
"Yes, of course the pass is open. It's May!"
"Are you sure? I think that sign said it was closed."
"The GPS and google maps gave me this route. We're fine."
...We're making really good time and the roads are virtually empty. The views are gorgeous...
...Till the LAST set of gates before the top...where there were people skiing and you could see them snow-blowing the switchbacks above us. Awesome. We all had a good laugh and made the most of it.
So that 7 hours to Italy ended up being over 10...but the views were lovely.
Next stop, Italy...






No comments:
Post a Comment