Monday, June 30, 2014

Week 3

Our third week here was...eh.  Trying to settle in more, slowly but surely.

The beginning of the week felt slow as the Hubs had to go TDY to London for a few days.  While he was away, the kids and I played at new parks, grocery shopped, hung out and explored a smidge.  We also met up with new friends to play one morning and that was a delightful blessing!


On Tuesday night, we ventured to IKEA for dinner.  It's right around the corner and though nothing is in English, it is all recognizable.  It's my new happy place, much like Target has always been stateside.  I don't need to buy anything, but it's a bit of familiarity in a strange new setting; comfort in the form of a big-box store.  We eat horse meatballs, sit by the window, and watch the Belgians shove large boxes into tiny smart cars.  Dinner and a show!


On Wednesday night, Hubs came home late and I had to wake up the dandelions to venture into the heart of Brussels to pick him up at the train station.  No biggie, I have not been timid about driving here and our rental has GPS.  Of course, on this outing, the GPS and I may or may not have had a few misunderstandings about which tunnel to take when the highway divided into thirds and we may or may not have gone around the same traffic circle twice in within 5 minutes.  I also may or may not have driven through the taxi line and the wrong way on a one way street.  Nevertheless, after our spontaneous sightseeing tour, we found Daddy.  

The end of the week felt very rushed.  With days lost, the Hubs had to race around, only to wait and wait, trying to get all our finances and insurance in order for our house.  It's ridiculous how long it takes to move money from one country to another.  Especially since it's all electronic.  He also had MORE in-processing to do.  Everyone wants an appointment and everything takes 10x longer.  

Customer service is not what we Americans expect.  They want you to schedule an appointment for everything.  Also, they do not want you to interrupt their lunch hour.  In the states, lunch time is often used to run to the bank or other errands.  Not here.  

"Could you help me, please?"
"Perhaps."
"I am looking for a used car that seats 6."
"Ah, that is Steve. He's the used car guy."
"Could you get him for me?"
"He's back there, in his office."
(Walk back to office.)
"Hi, are you Steve? I am looking for a used car that seats 6."
(Without standing, still chewing his shrimp pizza and trying not to make eye contact.) "Um, I have a few.  They're out there. (Gesturing with said pizza.) You can go look."

I have a handful of other examples, too.  Belgians know how to take customer service to a whole new low.  We're having to learn to adjust...

Our week ended without feeling like much was accomplished, but the evenings ended well.  Thursday and Friday, we were hosted for delicious dinners with new friends!  Hooray!

We missed out on church this week because Dandelion #4's nose has turned into a snot-faucet.  Instead we got lost explored trying to find a play area in the woods and found ourselves in a torrential downpour.  Every day, a new adventure...









1 comment:

  1. : ) Miss you Kel. I'm glad you can smile through all the exploring (well, at least at the retelling). Peace be with you. You are loved!

    ReplyDelete